Municipal Parking Facility
The City of St. Catharines demolished a failing 1975, 500 car parking garage, with the requirement to replace it with a multi-use facility. The new 600 car capacity Carlisle St. Parking facility includes 1,200sm leasable commercial space, and demonstrates sustainable design principals. The project is registered with the Canada Green Building Council, and is targeted for LEED Silver Certification.
6 sustainable design strategies important to the success of the project include:
- Roof canopies which harvest rainwater and reduce the heat island effect.
- Public Plaza, landscaping features & streetscaping improve pedestrian circulation through the city.
- Open perimeter to provide passive ventilation and personal security.
- Covered bicycle porches, priority carpool parking & accommodation for future electric charging stations, to facilitate alternative transportation.
- Motion sensor/photo-cell LED lighting to reduce energy consumption
- Regionally sourced and high recycled content materials to minimize lifecycle costs.